On 17-Nov-00 Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Nov 2000 10:30:02 PST, John Baldwin wrote:
>
>> # sysctl -w debug.ktr_verbose=1 ; command_that_makes_my_machine_go_boom
>
> All very well and good once you've figured out which command makes your
> machine go boom.

Yes, I know.  I didn't say the method was perfect.  I find it frustrating as
well. :-/

> But as I said, the locks I'm getting appear completely arbitrary.  I'm
> no hard-core hacker, but I'm not completely clueless when it comes to
> isolating problems by way of deductive reasoning, and I'm stumped as to
> what's causing these.

I have no idea either. :(  I can't magically fix them, and if I don't commit
any of this stuff which works on my boxes as far as I can tell, then others
won't test it and we won't make progress.  If a buildworld usually triggers,
then try writing a small C program that beats on a file in /tmp or /var, then
start up 10 copies of it in a script that you run as your
'command_that_makes_my_machine_go_boom' to see if it works. :-P

--

John Baldwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -- http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/