On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 02:42:15AM +0100, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> Warner Losh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > I've had problems in the past going backwards on major versions of
> > shared libaries.  The major problem is that if I have binaries that
> > refer to libc.so.503, then when the major number is reverted back to
> > 5, it is a nop because ld will use libc.so.503 for new binaries.
>
> When we back down to 5, we add magic to the Makefiles to move
> libc.so.5?? to /usr/lib/compat - that way they're only used when
> needed at runtime, not for linking new programs.

NO!  No magic.  No polution.  If you are using -current when libc.so.5003
exists, you should be able to handle the `mv' yourself manually.

--
-- David  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
          GNU is Not Unix / Linux Is Not UniX

  • ... Peter Wemm
    • ... Dag-Erling Smorgrav
      • ... Peter Wemm
        • ... David O'Brien
        • ... Warner Losh
          • ... David O'Brien
          • ... Warner Losh
          • ... Dag-Erling Smorgrav
            • ... Dag-Erling Smorgrav
            • ... Peter Wemm
            • ... David O'Brien
            • ... Paul RichardsF
            • ... David O'Brien
            • ... Paul Richards
            • ... Gerhard Sittig
            • ... David O'Brien
            • ... Paul Richards
            • ... David O'Brien
            • ... Paul Richards_imap/mail.originative.co.uk/Inbox.sbd/New Mail.sbd/OpenLDAP.sbd/Devel
            • ... David O'Brien
            • ... Brian Somers