One of the things I do with my -current boxes is I run a local rsync to make a
backup of the system drive whenever I feel like the thing is stable enough
to have a backup made :-)

The rsync is fairly intensive I/O wise and memory wise.

I see the following behaviors with -current

 * rsync runs to completion and hangs at the very end, can be interrupted -
   my guess is trying to free memory

 * rsync pauses periodically, usually for 30 seconds, and then continues
   during this pause the system is wedged, no mouse movement etc - my guess
   is trying to do some garbage collection to get more memory :-)

 * the server crashes and restarts

When I'm not running the rsync its rare to see this trouble.  Could we have
a bug where freed pages aren't getting freed right?

Later

Mark Hittinger
Earthlink
[EMAIL PROTECTED]