> This happened to me yesterday, and, haha, I didn't notice until I started to
> see RSA stuff not working:
>
> da0: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 8, 16bit), Tagged Queueing
> Enabled
> da0: 4340MB (8888924 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 553C)
> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0a
> no such device 'ad'
> setrootbyname failed
> ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
> Root mount failed: 6
> Mounting root from ufs:da0a
> da0: invalid primary partition table: no magic
> WARNING: clock lost 358 days -- CHECK AND RESET THE DATE!
>

> My FreeBSD-alpha PC164 lost it's IDE disk for 4.2 somehow- which I'd just
> loaded the 4.2 kernel from- so it decided to run off of da0 instead, which was
> -current. Truly a startling turn of events. Shouldn't one stop and ask if the
> root one asked for isn't available?

There are two schools of thought here.  One says "you should try very
hard to find a root device", the other says "you should boot only from
the exactly correct root device and complain otherwise".  I took the
first approach because its advocates shouted more loudly than those of
the second.

Would a louder warning message be enough of a compromised?