On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, Alexander Leidinger wrote:

> On 19 Jul, David Wolfskill wrote:
>
> >>        It will just sit there forever until ctrl-c is hit.  Anyone knows
> >>what's wrong?  Thanks.
> >
> > This was discussed (to some extent) aboust a week & a half ago in -current.
> > It seems (pointed out by Alexander Leidinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
> > that -- for some of us, at least -- "sysctl -a" (used in the entropy
> > harvesting by /etc/rc -- fails to terminate.
>
> For me it terminates. I didn't have/had problems booting the system
> (build Jul 6, not updated because I'm a little bit lazy to rebuild every
> 3rd party app which uses libpam).
>
> > Also (again, for me) "sysctl -N -a" outputs a (non-terminating) stream of
> >
> >     net.inet.accf.373
> >
> > lines using my (slightly customized) kernel, but with GENERIC, it exhibits
> > similar behavior, but outputs a stream of
> >
> >     net.inet.accf.372
> >
> > lines.
>
> I didn't see this behavior.
>
> If somebody wants the output of a verbose boot, my kernel config or
> something else feel free to contact me.

        Hmmm, which kernel config did you use?  I tried GENERIC and even
changed maxusers to 512 from 32 and it didn't hang.  GENERIC with the
following options seems to hang it:

options         MAXMEM=393216
options         NMBCLUSTERS=16384
options         QUOTA           #enable disk quotas
options         IBCS2
options         SPX_HACK

# Enable the linux-like proc filesystem support (requires COMPAT_LINUX
# and PSEUDOFS)
options         LINPROCFS
options         COMPAT_LINUX
options         PSEUDOFS
options         DEBUG_LINUX

#COMPAT_SVR4 is broken
#options                COMPAT_SVR4
#options                DEBUG_SVR4
#device         streams         # STREAMS network driver (required for
svr4).

# This allows you to actually store this configuration file into
# the kernel binary itself, where it may be later read by saying:
#    strings -n 3 /boot/kernel/kernel | sed -n 's/^___//p' > MYKERNEL
#
options         INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE     # Include this file in kernel

#
# PERFMON causes the driver for Pentium/Pentium Pro performance counters
# to be compiled.  See perfmon(4) for more information.
#
options         PERFMON
options         PPP_BSDCOMP             #PPP BSD-compress support
options         PPP_DEFLATE             #PPP zlib/deflate/gzip support
options         PPP_FILTER              #enable bpf filtering (needs bpf)
options         MROUTING                # Multicast routing

# POSIX P1003.1B

# Real time extensions added in the 1993 Posix
# P1003_1B: Infrastructure
# _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING: Build in _POSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING
# _KPOSIX_VERSION:             Version kernel is built for

options         _KPOSIX_VERSION=199309L

        Also, couldn't the workaround be fixed with /etc/rc.conf?  As I
can see, the defaults for -current in rc.conf is:

entropy_file="/entropy" # Set to NO to disable caching entropy through
reboots.
                        # /var/db/entropy is preferred if / is not
available.
entropy_dir="/var/db/entropy" # Set to NO to disable caching entropy via
cron.
entropy_save_sz="2048"  # Size of the entropy cache files.
entropy_save_num="8"    # Number of entropy cache files to save.
harvest_interrupt="YES" # Entropy device harvests interrupt randomness
harvest_ethernet="YES"  # Entropy device harvests ethernet randomness
harvest_p_to_p="YES"    # Entropy device harvests point-to-point randomness

        I would guess it's the last one that is hanging it.

        While in older FreeBSD versions such as 4.3-RELEASE, entropy is
basically off by default?

rand_irqs="NO"          # Stir the entropy pool (like "5 11" or NO).

Cheers,
Vince - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1@IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin