On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, David Greenman wrote:

> >On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 06:28:59PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
>wrote:
> >Probably the recent change (IIRC) that someone turned running an
> >executable into a mtime change.
>
>    There was no such change. I proposed a change that would update the atime,
> but that was not committed because it has some bad side effects.

I didn't see that.  I saw when you objected to me fixing the bug many
years ago :-).  The atime update was too slow for executables on nfs
filesystems.  I only used it to reduce the number of non-conformances
found by the NIST Posix test suite.  There is now a PR about this bug
(kern/25777) with a very broken patch in it (it assume that all
filesystems are ufs and hacks on ufs's IN_ACCESS flag).

Bruce