On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 11:52:07AM +0100, Josef Karthauser wrote:
> I'm having strange problems with -current on a laptop with 64mb of
> memory.  Periodically "things go strange" [tm].
>
> Because of the lack of memory I'm using a fair amount of swap.
>
> Everything runs smoothly up until a point, which seems to depend upon
> not running too many large processes for too long.  Then the file system
> grinds to a halt for seconds at a time.  Some processes run, and others
> just hang.

Yes, I see almost exactly the same thing (except that I haven't
noticed any processes which stay running during the freeze -- things
like keyboard and mouse activity in X or the console always freeze).
Mine could well be swap related too, though I have 128MB of memory.

I really think developers should be made to run -current on an old,
slow, crippled machines so they notice this kind of thing which would
be lost in the noise on their fast machines :-)

Kris

PGP signature