On 04-Sep-01 David W. Chapman Jr. wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 08:44:58PM -0700, John Baldwin wrote:

>> > sure your window manager isn't using it?
>> > (e.g. 'enlighten' does, as does kde in some configurations)
>>
>> Shouldnt' matter in -current since the sound driver does software mixing of
>> multiple input channels (meaning that multiple processes can open /dev/dsp
>> at
>> the same time and it all Just Works (tm)).
>>
> I was instructed to set snd.hw.vchan=4 I believe and it has appeared
> to fix this, by default its at 1 and they aren't mixed.

Really?  I've run multiple mpg123's before and had it mix the output
appropriately w/o needing to set any sysctl's.

In fact, am doing so right now inside of KDE (with arts or whatever their sound
daemon is called also running).  Granted, it sounds rather weird. :-P

  915 john      -8    0  5236K   900K pcmwr    0:01  1.66%  1.51% mpg123
  914 john      -8    0  4336K   912K pcmwr    0:01  1.64%  1.51% mpg123

> sysctl hw.snd
hw.snd.verbose: 0
hw.snd.unit: 0
hw.snd.autovchans: 0