There have been a number of permission-related changes in the tree of
late, in particular relating to securelevel support.  I haven't
experienced any local problems running the new code, but there is always
the potential for such a problem, especially in areas of the code I'm not
actively using.  In particular, I haven't used vmware2 on my test boxes in
quite a while, since the KSE changes certainly at least.  A first question
for you would be: are you using a securelevel other than -1?  As a quick
hack, try the following: edit securelevel_ge() and securelevel_gt() in
kern_prot.c to always return 0.  See if the problem goes away.  It's
possible I botched a securelevel check in the device code, or
mis-transcribed a securelevel value.  Depending on how into kernel
debugging you are, you could also try setting breakpoints in the
securelevel code and see what's getting spat out.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]      NAI Labs, Safeport Network Services