> POP and IMAP (I think) will lose all the envelope information,

You've been listening to Terry too long.  It's certainly not the case,
although I've decided to quit arguing with Terry, since it's an
excercise in futility.  No matter what you say, he'll either change the
subject or simply overwhelm you with useless/unrelated material until
you simply abandon any hope of trying to give out useful information.

> SMTP is a PUSH operation..
>
> so for a PULL operation that can handle envelope information (e.g. BCC)
> you need UUCP

See above.  fetchmail + pop works fine.  I've been  get all of my envelope
information, and there is no worries.

For 'fetching' email, fetchmail is a very good solution.  However, there
is also another fairly trivial solution that works well, *IF* you have a
static IP address.

ETRN also is a good 'fetch' mechanism, if your ISP sets up MX records
for you.  When you come up, you simply telnet into your ISP's mail
server, then type 'ETRN foobar.com', and it'll dump all your email to
the IP address of your static configuration.

However, this won't work for roving users.

Nate