As Peter Wemm wrote:

> There shouldn't *be* bootblocks on non-boot disks.
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da$n count=1
>
> Dont use "disklabel -B -rw da$n auto".  Use "disklabel -rw da$n auto".

All my disks have bootblocks and (spare) boot partitions.  All the
bootblocks are DD mode.  I don't see any point in using obsolete fdisk
tables.  (There's IMHO only one purpose obsolete fdisk tables are good
for, co-operation with other operating systems in the same machine.
None of my machines uses anything else than FreeBSD.)