On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 22:18:51 -0700, Samuel J.Greear wrote:
> On Monday 21 January 2002 10:20 pm, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> > I've got a machine with 4G of RAM, and I'm trying to test all the RAM out
> > to make sure it's okay.
> >
> > I've tried doing buildworlds, but never end up using more than 1G of RAM on
> > cache, etc.
> >
> > I've got -current and -stable on it, and I've tried making an MFS
> > filesystem under -stable.  I can't seem to get more than a 512M MFS
> > filesystem allocated under -stable.  (I've got two 2G swap partitions.)
> >
> > I tried using md to make a swap-backed filesystem under -current, but the
> > problem is that it actually seems to back it with swap.  (pstat -s shows
> > disk space used, unlike MFS under -stable)
> >
> > Is there a way, under -current or -stable, to make a true RAMdisk that is
> > around 2GB in size?
> >
> > Ken
>

> If all you want to do is test the RAM:
> http://www.teresaudio.com/memtest86/
>   (download the Windows version and use
>     dd to put the binary on a floppy)

Thanks for the pointer.  Unfortunately it doesn't work with more than 2G of
RAM.  (The test just hangs up, numlock doesn't work, keyboard input doesn't
seem to do anything.)

> As far as your other questions, well ....

For the archives, Paul Saab pointed out that I need to increase MAXDSIZ.
That did the trick, and I now have a ~2G MFS partition:  (on -stable)

{nargothrond:/usr/home/ken:62:0} df -k /mnt
Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
mfs:340       2015918   604986  1249660    33%    /mnt

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]