Kenneth D. Merry writes:
 > >     Wow, I didn't actually expect my config would make things work
 > >     differenty on your box.  I'm very interested in whatever you
 > >     turn up.
 >
 > The answer is...the USB code.
 >
 > [ Nick and Joe CCed ]
 >
 > If I comment out the following lines in my standard config for this
 > machine, SMP works:
 >
 > # USB support
 > device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
 > device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
 > device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
 > #device         udbp            # USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
<...>

To add another datapoint, the USB code will prevent some alphas from
rebooting cleanly in -stable.  With USB compiled in, the machine will
not get any ATA interrupts after a warm reboot.  This change happened
somewhere between 4.4 and 4.5.

It doesn't seem to matter if the machine actually has USB enabled or
not.  Eg, it happens on a UP1000 which has USB hardware, but has it
disabled in the firmware:

chip0@pci0:0:0: class=0x060000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x70061022 rev=0x25 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Advanced Micro Devices (AMD)'
    device   = 'AMD-751 Processor-to-PCI Bridge / Memory Ctrlr'
    class    = bridge
    subclass = HOST-PCI
pcib1@pci0:1:0: class=0x060400 card=0x00000000 chip=0x70071022 rev=0x01 hdr=0x01
    vendor   = 'Advanced Micro Devices (AMD)'
    device   = 'AMD-751 AGP and PCI-to-PCI Bridge (1x/2x AGP)'
    class    = bridge
    subclass = PCI-PCI
isab0@pci0:7:0: class=0x060100 card=0x00000000 chip=0x153310b9 rev=0xc3 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Acer Labs Incorporated (ALi)'
    device   = 'ALI M1533 Aladdin IV ISA Bridge'
    class    = bridge
    subclass = PCI-ISA
sym0@pci0:8:0:  class=0x010000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x000f1000 rev=0x04 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Symbios Logic (NCR) (LSI Logic)'
    device   = '53C875, 53C876 Ultra-Wide SCSI (53C876 is dual-channel)'
    class    = mass storage
    subclass = SCSI
rp0@pci0:10:0:  class=0x078000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x000511fe rev=0x04 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Comtrol Corp'
    device   = 'RocketPort 8-port'
    class    = simple comms
xl0@pci0:11:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x905510b7 chip=0x905510b7 rev=0x64 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = '3COM Corp, Networking Division'
    device   = '3C905B-TX Fast Etherlink 10/100 PCI TX NIC'
    class    = network
    subclass = ethernet
atapci0@pci0:16:0:      class=0x0101fa card=0x00000000 chip=0x522910b9 rev=0xc1
hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Acer Labs Incorporated (ALi)'
    device   = 'M1543 Southbridge EIDE Controller'
    class    = mass storage
    subclass = ATA
chip1@pci0:17:0:        class=0x000000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x710110b9 rev=0x00
hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Acer Labs Incorporated (ALi)'
    device   = 'ALI M7101 Power Management Controller'
    class    = old
    subclass = non-VGA display device
none0@pci2:5:0: class=0x030000 card=0x0a351048 chip=0x3d07104c rev=0x11 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Texas Instruments (TI)'