"M. Warner Losh" wrote:
> But would an IrDA specific driver do anything differently than sio
> would?  SIR is effectively an 16550 UART from what I've seen so far.
> Maybe I'm missing something?

Yes; it would allow remote control protocols, and some IrDa
self-clocking protocols that aren't possible if you treat
the thing as an internally clocked 16550 with no special
capabilities.  It's like a parallel port that supports
mode 1, 2, and 3, instead of just mode 1.

Not that there's a driver for it that should prevent the
SIO patch going in so we can at least use printers and PPP
over IR, if we want.

-- Terry