On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 05:05:02PM +1000, Bruce Evans wrote:

> > > I planned to fix this by changing "make includes" to print
> > > "Unwarranted chumminess with implementation".
> >
> > What is your perfered way to get the results of
> > (cd /usr/src ; make includes) ?
>
> I prefer not to do this.  There are simpler methods to get broken
> headers, starting with rm -rf :).  I prefer everyone to use (documented)
> user-level targets like "world" and "install" for installing includes,
> since it would be difficult to make the includes target safe for general
> use.  I don't know what it really useful for.

It's now more useful (incsinstall) than before, for developers.  Imagine
you've modified the include file foo.h and want to try if "bar" compiles
with it.  As incsinstall now works on per-makefile level, you can just
install this particular include (or group of related includes), and then
just cd to bar's directory, and try to make it.  It is also useful as a
standard target so we don't forget to install some includes (which might
be needed to build libraries), like we did before.

(Of course, if the header is local, one might use -I${.CURDIR}, as many
bsd.lib.mk makefiles currently do.  We can now drop these or similar
lines (see libbz2/Makefile for example), but I think they are still
useful in at least "developer" mode.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov          Sysadmin and DBA,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           Sunbay Software AG,

http://www.FreeBSD.org  The Power To Serve
http://www.oracle.com   Enabling The Information Age