> The trouble is, those messages vanish in about 1 millisecond when the
> pager fires up and displays the next set of diffs.  The messages are
> effectively invisible on my system, and I only found them by running
> mergemaster under "script".  Of course, Bruce, I have no doubt that
> you can see them on your Teletype Model 37. ;-)

If you are using syscons terminal, you should be able to see previous output
by pressing the "scroll lock" key, then page-up/page-down (and cursors keys).

that's pretty usefull on a 80x24 terminal :)

> If mergemaster depends on perl and perl is not installed, it should be
> a fatal error which terminates mergemaster immediately.  It doesn't
> make any sense to proceed if the merged files cannot be installed.

In fact, IMHO, it doesn't make sense at all to have mergemaster depending
on perl.. Since it's a system tools, it should use only sh/awk scripting..
my 2 cents..

fifi...

--
Guezou Philippe