<<On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 09:06:36 -0700 (PDT), Gordon Tetlow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Ah, okay, there is a distinct lack of documentation to that fact. I have
> figured out that I can just set RS="" and that does the same thing. I
> suppose it would be helpful to have an awk book around. =)

The Standard is clear:

# The first character of the string value of RS shall be the input
# record separator; a <newline> by default. If RS contains more than
# one character, the results are unspecified. If RS is null, then
# records are separated by sequences consisting of a <newline> plus
# one or more blank lines, leading or trailing blank lines shall not
# result in empty records at the beginning or end of the input, and a
# <newline> shall always be a field separator, no matter what the
# value of FS is.

-GAWollman