On 17 Sep, Michael Reifenberger wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Martin Blapp wrote:
>
>> Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 02:29:41 +0200 (CEST)
>> From: Martin Blapp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> Cc: Michael Reifenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Peter Wemm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> Subject: Re: filesystem corruption ?
>>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> It looks more and more to me that pmap does something wrong.
>> I get pmap related vm crashes or corruption, relating in
>> filesystem corruption.
>>
>> I had about 3-4 different panics. Mozilla build tends to prefer
>> "panic: bad link count", openoffice prefers page faults in ffs code ;)
>>
>> But these options here are enabled:
>>
>> options        DISABLE_PSE
>> options        DISABLE_PG_G
>>
> Not in my config-file

I was seeing random-looking memory corruption on my Athlon box during
repeated buildworld runs without these options.  I've also got 1GB of
RAM, so the source tree would remain cached in RAM after the first run.
The memory corruption would show up as damage to random files in the
source tree and would disappear after a reboot.  A small section of the
damaged file would be turned into binary garbage.  The damage wouldn't
show up until I'd run buildworld 5 to 8 times. The system never paniced,
though that could easily be configuration and workload dependent.