On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 01:55:18PM +0300, Vallo Kallaste wrote:

> This isn't a yesterdays problem, I've had this for a month or so.
> The problem is explicit declaration of -march=p[234], use
> CPUTYPE=i686 in /etc/make.conf and you get further. The second way
> is to not set CPUTYPE at all, logic in /usr/share/mk/bsd.cpu.mk will
> set -mcpu to what appears to fit.

That's not true; it adds -mcpu=pentiumpro by default to optimize
instruction scheduling for 686-class CPUs (without breaking binary
compatibility down to i386s), but it doesnt "autodetect" anything, and
you'll get better performance on a 686-class CPU by specifying it in
CPUTYPE (since you'll then also get pentium pro instructions).

-mcpu != -march

Kris