On 27-Sep-2002 Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> 4.  It may not even work at all in the first place.  We havn't done
>     the VFS locking yet, so dropping giant in specfs may open a pathway
>     to the dungeon-dimensions (this is a bad thing).

I actually implemented this very early on during SMPng (a flag in the cdevsw)
but we ended up not committing it for this reason.  You can only do this if
you assume the calling code doesn't make any assumptions about interrupts
being blocked.  IOW, in 4.x terms, if cdevsw routines are always called at
spl0 then this is safe.  If they aren't, then, well, this isn't safe yet. :)

--

John Baldwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  <><  http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/