If memory serves me right, Doug Barton wrote:

> This should go on the "Comprehensive guide to updating from source to 5.0"
> that I'm sure our trusty release engineers are producing?

Some of this is described in the early adopter's guide (still a work in
progress) that I committed to the release documentation set a few days
ago.

It refers to src/UPDATING for the source-upgrade-from-4.X steps, but
several people have suggested bringing this material into the document.
I'm open to that, but first:  1) I'd like the content to settle a bit
first, 2) I need to find time to do this.  #2 is less of an issue if
someone else wants to help out.

Cheers,

Bruce.