John Baldwin wrote:
Sectors more than 63 are not allowed for IDE drives at all.
What happens when you use the LBA geometry?  Does the drive
not boot properly after being installed?
Well, I did try LBA as well, but couldn't boot at all. boot2 did
let me look at the root directory, but any further investigation
(like trying 0:da(0,a)/boot/? ) produced junk and/or killed boot2.
The Windows partition also didn't boot.

Btw. according to http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/bios/modesECHS-c.html
the CHS parameters *are* within limits of the IDE/ATA standard;
the "Large" mode is off limits since it can't get the Cylinder
cound below 1024 without exceeding the max Heads.

*sigh* what a mess :-)

/step

--
stephan mantler                         reality is in fact virtual.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                            http://step.schmelzweb.at/