In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Michael Richards" writes
:

>--------------Boundary-00=_R7WWAEEZ5BZNTT4D7TH0
>
>I updated to 5.0-current using the "." tag because I wanted SMP
>support for our development AlphaServer 1200 that was otherwise
>gathering dust.
>
>I added some new disks and wanted to do a sysinstall to label and
>newfs them. So running /usr/sbin/sysinstall built from the sources of
>today sysinstall simply core dumps on the device probe section. I
>tried adding a -g to cflags in its makefile but couldn't coax gdb
>into spitting out anything more useful.
>
>Here is what I get:
>Probing devices, please wait (this can take a while)...Segmentation
>fault (core dumped)

Ok, first make sure that your machine is running a -current kernel.

If it does that, then:

        add to the src/lib/libdisk/Makefile:
                CFLAGS +=       -g
        in src/lib/libdisk:
                make obj
                make depend
                make clean
                make all install
        add to src/usr.sbin/sysinstall/Makefile
                CFLAGS +=       -static -g
        in src/usr.sbin/sysinstall:
                make obj
                make depend
                make clean
                make all install

Now, try again and see if you don't get a more useful core file.

(I'm very interested in this because we have not yet validated
libdisk/sysinstall on alpha machines after the last changes.)

[EMAIL PROTECTED]         | TCP/IP since RFC 956