--On Sunday, November 17, 2002 11:36 AM +0100 Thierry Herbelot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Le Sunday 17 November 2002 10:50, Joel M. Baldwin a écrit :
running dnet on a SMP kernel causes the kernel to panic.

[Hijacking another thread ?]
No problem, lets compare notes.

I haven't been able to complete a full buildworld with an SMP on a
Abit BP6  (bi-celeron) board for two weeks (the kernel config is just
a full GENERIC  with SMP and APICIO options enabled).
I also am running a BP6.  IS ANYONE successfully running an ABIT
BP6 motherboard on a SMP kernel with -current?

What BIOS version are running?  I'm one version behind I think,
so I'm going to upgrade and see if that makes any difference.

The same machine runs happily strings of make -j48 buildworld's when
running  with the straight GENERIC UP kernel, so I think the hardware
seems to be  working OK.
I haven't tried anything that drastic, but I have had NO crashes
or lockups that I couldn't explain in a NON SMP kernel.  The SMP
kernel on the other hand will Hard Lock anywhere in anywhere from
seconds to days.  It seems to be more likely the harder I push it.
I don't think its the hardware.  I've pulled my hair out and tried
everything I can think of to eliminate the possability of it
being hardware.  I'm hoping that dnet causing a panic is somehow
related.

Even make -j1 buildworld with the SMP kernel ends with a complete
freeze of  the machine (the kernel does not go to a panic where I
could try a backtrace)
Exactly!  Hard Lock, no panic, no keyboard, no choices other than reset.

The hardware config of the machine is pretty dull (see dmesg later).

One point that could be better is that the sources are NFS mounted
from a  4.7-Stable server, over an rl(4) board, which may be unstable
(/usr/obj is  local, on the Maxtor drive)
All my harddrives are local, 3 SCSI and 3 IDE.

. . . snip . . .