seems I've backed myself into a corner.

I've got 4.4-Release installed, and have cvsup'ed src-all into a /usr prefix.
make buildworld completed successfully, but now I cannot continue without
libc.so.5. Unfortuantely, I can't build libc 5 without the current kernel,
and vise-versa. I get a core dump (assuming that's because of my kernel
version) from make in the /usr/src directory when logged in as root. config
bails after asking for libc.so.5.
make kernel worked at one point, but the kernel didn't seem to actually
install on /.

suggesstions?