On Monday 02 December 2002 03:05 am, Brad Knowles wrote:
>       According to all the source modules I've read regarding RealTek
> cards, they're about the biggest pieces of hardware garbage that has
> ever been inflicted on the free/open community.  However, a 3Com card
> should be a little better.  Have you tried replacing both RealTek
> cards with 3Com, to see if that changes things?

One thing I've used in the past that improves Realtek throughput is forcing
the media type and duplex setting on both ends of the connection.  Autodetect
in the 8139s seems to be unreliable at times.

In my testing here I can get upwards of 1100kBps over 10baseT as long as I set
both ends to full-duplex 10baseT/UTP.  (This is from a 5.0-DP2 box to a
4.5-RELEASE box, 8139's on both ends; scp and nfs show about the same
throughput.)  iirc, Craig was seeing closer to 800kBps.  I'm trying to find a
patch cable (or a crimper) to try 100mbps.

-Cliff L. Biffle