On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Manfred Antar wrote:

> >> Anyhow, it's the console, it's been locking up.  I just retried it with a
> >> kernel cvsupped not 2 hours ago, and it's still here.  All the vty's lock
> >> up, and once even froze the PC speaker (beeping annoyingly at me).
> >>
> >> There don't seem to be any hung processes.  I can use X, and I can also
> >> ssh into the box, so it's the console only.  Can't switch to different
> >> vty's, and the one i'm on is frozen, no response to any keys.
> >>
> >> It seems to come on more quickly if I do something serious, like a
> >> buildkernel.  Happened once on startup, but even though rc hadn't
> >> finished, I WAS able to ssh into the box and shut it down (indicating to
> >> me that rc had finished, just no response from the console).
> >>
> >> Machine is a 2 processor Tyan Thunder, 1G memory, two Athlons, scsi disks
> >> and eide both.
> >
> >It's interesting that you seem to have almost same machine as I
> >have. Tyan Thunder with SCSI and ATA disks, SMP and the only
>
> I have the same problem here on an Intel PR440FX dual pentium-pro MB.
> Manfred

It's not the fact that I have an extra, unused on-board video (checked).
Also, when the video output stops, the console still works fine for input
(keyboard never stops working normally).  Also, I can successfully start X
just fine.  It's just the vty's output that is stopped (all vtys, alt-Fn
has no effect on output, only input).  It's not wiped, just no further
changes.  I tried issuing a vidcontrol; before lockup, color change works
fine, after, no effect.

It's acting as if the mapping in memory to the video buffer has changed.

Chuck Robey         | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   | electronics, communications, and SF/Fantasy.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.