Jacques A. Vidrine wrote:
Hello All,

I finally managed to put some time aside to redo my main
development/desktop machine to run FreeBSD 5.0.  (I've been running
5.x on my laptop for some months.)  I had to retreat back to 4.7
because I could not get through some simple tasks without the system
hanging.  The system is a dual Athlon box with 1 GB RAM.  The dmesg
output is below.

At first the system hung while I was building GNOME 2.0 and restoring
some files from tape.  It wasn't _completely_ hung:  I could switch
VTYs, and enter new commands (though it might take tens of seconds to
echo my typing...
I seem to remember something similar from a few months ago that
affected machines with lots of RAM because of something to do
with high order address bits.  I thought it got fixed, but I can't
really recall.

Was it an Athlon problem, or a gcc problem, or both?  Hmpf, can't
remember!

Anyone else think this might be the same thing?