I've been experiencing a lot of lockups (system completely dead, no
reaction at the keyboard, can't ping) on an Intel SMP machine running
CURRENT.  Normally I do my kernel builds over NFS, but in the last few
months I haven't been able to complete a 'make world'.  Along with
-DNOCLEAN I can get a build done in about 4 attempts; local builds
work fine.  NFS builds also work fine with other single processor
machines.

Questions:

1.  Has anybody else seen this?
2.  How should I approach looking for the problem?

Greg