On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 03:12:50PM +0200, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2002-12-22 17:19, walt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Martin Hasenbein wrote:
> >> I've tried to upgrade to -current a few minutes ago.  Before
> >> upgrading I had FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE-p2
> >>
> >> After a "make buildworld / make buildkernel /make installkernel"
> >> and rebooting, I still have FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE-p2
> >
> > Sounds like you are rebooting with the old kernel in the / directory
> > instead of the new kernel which is now in the /boot/kernel
> > directory.
> >
> > If you interrupt the boot loader by hitting SPACE, you can then type
> > 'unload' and then 'load /boot/kernel/kernel' then 'boot' which will
> > boot the new kernel.
> >
> > I've never done the upgrade path, so I'm not sure how you are
> > supposed to avoid this problem.  Maybe you are doing things in the
> > wrong sequence or skipping steps?
>
> By editing /boot/loader.conf before rebooting and changing `bootfile'
> to the new location of the kernel:
>
>       bootfile="/boot/kernel/kernel"
>
> you can instruct the loader to load the new kernel by default.
> Perhaps we should add this to the instructions of UPDATING for
> upgrades of 4.X to 5.X :-/

This change is mentioned in UPDATING, see entry 20000905.

The instructions in UPDATING are a kind of an ad-hoc upgrade guide, but
not a complete one. Read it from oldest entry to the newest, apply some
common sense and you will do fine.

--
All opinions expressed above are mine alone and do not express the views
of my employer or any other organizations that I am affiliated with.