We have some software we'd like to behave slightly differently if it is
in a jail.

What methods do people use to detect they are in a jail?
procfs/curproc might work but I don't want to depend on procfs.
ps aux can be used but seems rather heavyweight.
Something like a sysctl would be best. I could implement it
(unless there's already something I missed), if it was considered
the right answer.

Also, does anyone wnow the mechanism for ping failing (in 4.x systems)
from jails?

Julian