John Baldwin wrote:

On 16-Jan-2003 Terry Lambert wrote:

>"Joel M. Baldwin" wrote:
>
>>I gather that there are quite a few Motherboards with bad ACPI asl's
>>on them.  I know that my Abit BP6 sure has problems.  As a result I
>>can't run ACPI.
>>
>>What are those of us with these motherboards supposed to to?
>>
>>I realize that we can use acpidump to get the asl, correct it,
>>and then recompile it using iasl from the acpicatools port, to
>>generate the aml that can be used during boot.
>
>There are several things you can do, one of which is what you
>have suggested, though you do not go far enough:
>
>1)    Correct the ASL, make a file modification so that
>      FreeBSD can run on the system with the incorrect
>      ASL, and then *notify the motherboard and BIOS
>      vendors of the correction, and the reason for it*.
>
>2)    The ASL works *fine* with the Windows ACPI code;
>      *correct* the FreeBSD code so that it *also* works
>      fine for FreeBSD (i.e. if the FreeBSD code were a
>      line-for-line duplicate of the Windows code, then
>      FreeBSD would not be having these problems, where
>      Windows does not, would it...).

Well, the problem here is that we don't write this code, Intel
does.

The problem is that Mike Smith quit. If I remember correctly, he fixed two of these for me when he was working on CURRENT. Googling `Mike Smith freebsd acpi' gets 482 results. If someone can get close to him, this stuff might get solved.

Pete...