Hmm, well, I finally got my first actual system panic which wasn't
obviously caused by my own screwing around.  On the console I have:

  free inode /usr/cvs/net/64 had 0 blocks
  panic: Negative bio_offset (-19038208) on bio 0xce51be28
  cpuid = 0; lapic.id = 01000000
  Debugger("panic")
  Stopped at    Debugger+0x55:  xchgl  %ebx,in_Debugger.0

If I type 'trace' at that point, i get a long traceback which is
more than I can stand to type in right now (I'm typing this on
my Mac, while looking at the console of my FreeBSD machine).  But
based on that, it looks like it just did a syscall(136) -> mkdir ->
kern_mkdir -> ufs_vnoperate -> ufs_mkdir -> vput -> ufs_inactive ->
ffs_truncate -> softdep_setup_freeblocks ->
handle_workitem_freeblocks -> ffs_blkfree -> bread -> breadn ->
spec_vnoperate -> spec_specstrategy -> spec_xstrategy ->
g_dev_strategy(ce51be28,0,c139258,4,ce51be28) at g_dev_strategy+0x87

I then typed 'panic', thinking that should get me a dump somewhere.
But, well, I don't see it...

This may be easy for me to recreate.  What I did was I had just
deleted three UFS partitions and replaced them with two UFS2
partitions.  One of the two UFS2 partitions was mounted at
/usr/cvs/net, and I had done a tar-pipe to copy all of
/usr/cvs/net-old (a directory) to /usr/cvs/net.  After the
reboot I had:

(257) cd /usr/cvs
(358) du -sk net*
1415362 net
2225480 net-old

(note: I have   background_fsck="NO"  in /etc/rc.conf)

This probably isn't as helpful as it could be, but of course this
happened just went I wanted to rush out the door.  Let me know if
I should try to recreate it, and what to do if I get another panic.

This is on a dual-processor machine, -current as of Jan 27th.
Dual Althon 2000.  512meg RAM.  For some reason, /var/run/dmesg.boot
is just a single line right now:
d2s3d: SIZE=512 MTIME=Jan  2 19:34 2003  (CLEARED)

but presumably I can get a more useful one by rebooting again...

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Systems Programmer           or  [EMAIL PROTECTED]