Thus spake Giorgos Keramidas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> On 2003-01-30 21:38, David Schultz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Thus spake Mike Makonnen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > > Use the r version of the cvs commands (like cvs rlog and rdiff). They operate on
> > > the repository remotely, so you don't need to have the files checked out localy.
> >
> > That's a pretty good solution, and I use those occasionally.  It
> > would be a perfect solution if there were an 'rupdate', so I don't
> > have to (cd /tmp; cvs co src/file/i/want.c)
> >     && cp /tmp/src/file/i/want.c /where/i/want/it
> >     && rm -rf /tmp/src
> > all the time.
>
>       # cd /tmp
>       # cvs -d 'repo magic' export -rHEAD src/file/i/want.c
>
> Does `cvs export' do the trick for you?

Actually, 'cvs export' does the opposite of what I want to do.
But thank you for mentioning it, because it's a good way to
explain what I'm trying to do, so people don't keep assuming that
my problem is not knowing how to use CVS.

        'cvs checkout': create a copy of the sources AND CVS's
                        administrative directories

        'cvs export': just create a copy of the sources

        What I want to do: just create the administrative directories

I'm aware that making CVS magically discover what version I have
is a bit much to ask for, so I'm willing to tell it what tag to
use.  Unfortunately, I don't think the facility I want exists, but
I'm going to try to implement a workaround when I have a moment.