At 1:01 PM +0100 2003/01/26, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ruslan Ermilov writes:

Welcome to the club if people who was bitten by the poor design
choices in the BSD disklabel.

 >Now the
question.  Where is the code in the kernel that prevents swapping
and/or writing to a disklabel portion of a physically first
 >partition on the disk?
This reminds me of a related suggestion / request. boot0cfg should be smarter, and require confirmation (unless forced) before overwrite a disklabel with an MBR (boot0cfg -b /dev/ad0s2g or similar). I believe overwriting a disklabel is much more likely to be pilot error, as in my case, than an deliberate choice.

boot0cfg.8 says:

     On PCs, a boot manager typically occupies sector 0 of a disk, which is
     known as the Master Boot Record (MBR).  The MBR contains both code (to
     which control is passed by the PC BIOS) and data (an embedded table of
     defined slices).

						Regards,

						Chris Pepper
--