Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

I have been watching this list and I have not seen much talk about the
stability of FreeBSD 5.0 (RELENG_5_0) or of its use as a server? I did see
that some people have upgraded their 4.7 servers to 5.0. Can anybody relate
their experience with the OS release? I am looking for cases in particular
for SOHO firewall/gateway environments. I have been waiting for Java and it
looks as if this release just might offer the features I need.

For various reasons, 5.0 is not recommended if you are not willing to put up with downtime and possible loss of data (as in, much more than usual). On the other hand, if you _are_ willing to reinstall everything now and then, you might use it.

I have it installed on a firewall on a cluster, and I'm now trying to use it for bastion host, where it's mac features can be put to good use.

A question you must ask yourself, though, is if 5.0 offers any feature you need that 4.7 doesn't. As far as I know, Java doesn't have any special benefits on 5.0, because the multithread library is still the same. I might be wrong, but... <shrug>

As for firewalls, I don't really see a need. I can't think of any feature of use to a firewall that is present on 5.0 but not on 4.7. The reason I run 5.0 on one of my firewalls is so I can help catch bugs. Anything untowards happens and I can just turn it off. Moreover, I can reboot it with 4.7 if I really need (a separate disk).

--
Daniel C. Sobral
Gerência de Operações