On Tue Feb 18, 2003 at 12:19:35AM +0000, Bruce Cran wrote:

> ACPI power management on Asus motherboards with the VIA chipset seems to
> be quite broken.  On my A7V333 I can use mode 1 (CPU off), 2 and 3
> report AE_NOT_FOUND and 4 dumps the cpu registers, while power-off on
> shutdown reports an ACPI timeout error.

I can power-off on shutdown (halt -p & acpiconf -s 5, if I understand
this correctly). mode 1 doesn't seem to do anything, but that might
just be because I can't notice the CPU stopped. 3 actually halts the
drives and the fans, but powering evrything back up gives me a nice
freeze. 4 just hangs.

> However, these motherboards _do_ seem to have the configuration part
> of ACPI working very well, whereas lots of computers don't even boot
> with ACPI enabled.  I don't know, but I'd guess that the priority
> will be to get computers booting and configuring properly with ACPI,
> before moving onto fixing problems with the power management, and
> working around features which make the AML (low-level ACPI code)
> work with Windows.

Of course. I didn't think of that. :)

A.
--
Imagination is more important than knowledge
                        - Albert Einstein