At 4:04 PM -0500 2/27/03, John Baldwin wrote:
On 27-Feb-2003 Garance A Drosihn wrote:

 I'm thinking maybe the 5.x release CD's should include:
      GENERIC
      GENERIC +SMP

I plan to make SMP kernels work on a UP machine like they do on all of our other platforms thus obsoleting the need for this.

Ooo. This will be highly appreciated for my collection of SMP boxes!

> GENERIC +VMWARE-friendly settings

This might be useful.

GENERIC for i386

I doubt the usefulness of this. i386 kernels were just accidentally broken for almost a month and a half without anyone noticing. People wouldn't have noticed if phk@ hadn't asked for a volunteer either. I386_CPU kernel compiles have been broken in the past for rather long periods of time before being noticed as well.

Well, doesn't that suggest that it would be GOOD if the release process itself had to build a GENERIC_I386 kernel?

> Would that add too much extra work for a 5.x release?

You have access to the source, go for it. :)  With cdboot, all you
need to do is create a /boot/vmware/ directory with kernel (and
maybe modules) in the ISO image and the user can break into the
loader and type 'boot vmware' to boot it.  src/release/* awaits
your tested patches.

Hmm. Well, right now I'm busy trying to make newsyslog more "admin-friendly", but I'll keep this pointer in mind. Thanks.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Systems Programmer           or  [EMAIL PROTECTED]