> I was recently a participant in a thread in another forum where all sorts
> of people, including a well respected gcc developer, said categorically
> that the latest (stock) gcc produces correct code with -O2 in all cases on
> ia32. If it doesn't, the gcc folks would like a bug report.

  I use -O3 -mmmx -m3dnow -march=k6-2 on nearly everything (things that
  break with that many optimization, such as XFree86-4-libraries, I
  "downgrade" to the highest optimization possible - usually -O2), and
  I'm not noticing any bad impacts because of it.

  And by "nearly everything" I even meant the kernel (yes, I can respect
  if anyone screams "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" ;-)

  Fred

--
Insulting a person's appearance:

        That's what they mean by dark and handsome. When it's dark, you're
        handsome...