Juli Mallett wrote:

Hi,

(Trying to boot an alternate kernel on FreeBSD/i386 with normal loader running
at a console, loading kernel from a disk.)

It looks like after I "unload" the default kernel, and try to "load" a new
one, when I go to "boot", loader is trying to load some other kernel, and
I'm not sure why, but I get the "elf_loadfile: kernel already loaded", I
was trying to fix this on my p4 branch by adding some printfs to figure
out what it was trying to load, and since I didn't have libstand around, it
threw a fit at me during the compile and I gave up, so I figured I'd just
mail here and ask if anyone has seen what I'm talking about, or knows if
it is fixed, or how to fix it.

I'm intrigued. The word "boot", as modified by loader.4th, only tries to load a kernel is "kernelname" is not defined. This variable should be set by the inner workings of loader when a kernel is loaded, iirc.

So, the question is why kernelname is not getting set when you load a new one. Or, if it _is_ getting set, something very, very weird is going on.

--
Daniel C. Sobral
Gerência de Operações