I am attempting this with the latest snapshot that I could get. I am doing
this off the kern and mfsroot floppies. This is (again) on a Dell Inspiron
2650 laptop. I boot the two floppies, and I get this:

...regular kernel boot messages...
pci0: <serial bus, SMBus> at device 31.3 (no driver attached)
pci0: <multimedia, audio> at device 31.5 (no driver attached)
pci0: <simple comms> at device 31.6 (no driver attached)

Then it hangs. I have to reboot. I tried doing:
set hint.pci.0.disabled=1
set hint.pci.1.disabled=1
set hint.pcic.0.disabled=1
set hint.pcic.1.disabled=1
set hint.eisa.0.disabled=1
set hint.eisa.1.disabled=1

None make a difference. Also, ACPI is disabled by default.

Now, for the platform information.
To get this to boot 4.x successfully, eisa must be disabled. So, normally
on a 4.x install, I would do 'boot -c', then at the 'conf>' prompt, I
would disable eisa support by typing 'eisa 0'. Essentially, I think If I
could do this, I'd also get 5.0 to boot. However, the hints method is NOT
working for disabling eisa (unless I do not quite understand how to do
it).
Everything works great under 4.x, as long as eisa is disabled. If it is
not, it will not boot (just like this).

The one alternative would be to compile a stripped kernel on another
machine, and install off of it. I did this, but I do not have enough
knowledge of the 5.x kernel/modules to be able to do this myself. If
someone could give me some help with this instead, it would be greatly
appriciated.

Thanks,
Lucas Reddinger