hi,
I recompiled my kernel yesterday and that game me an entire 4Mb more...WOW!! sarcasim killed the cat, but anyway. A debug option, *NOT THE* degug option, in the config file of the kernel was activated so I commented the line out and I got an extra 4Mb !! WOW. It was this line:

Options INVARIANT_SUPPORT #extra sanity checks

I don't have the internet setup on my bsd machine because my dad likes AOL, so I can't send a bug to the freeBSD team. Sorry!!