On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 09:07:24AM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bruce Evans writes:
>
> >This is either disk corruption or an ffs bug.  ffs passes the garbage
> >block number 0xffffe5441ae9720 to bread.  GEOM then handles this austerely
> >by panicing.  Garbage block numbers, including negative ones, can possibly
> >be created by applications seeking to preposterous offsets, so they should
> >not be handled with panics.
>
> They most certainly should!  If the range checking in any filesystem
> is not able to catch these cases I insist that GEOM do so with a panic.

What is wrong with returning an IO error?

I always hated panics because of filesystem corruptions.
An alternative would be to just bring that filesystem down.
Its easy to panic a whole system with a bogus filesystem on a removeable
media.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]