Garance A Drosihn wrote:
At 6:26 PM +0100 11/17/03, Julian Stacey wrote:
Seconded !  Better commit an improved switch with
default = Off.

The time for voting was months ago.

Actually, the discussion started almost a year ago now. That's when the new PAM/NSS libraries were first being announced, which was a big driving factor for all-dynamic linking. I recall quite a bit of that discussion happening right here on [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Many of us here have been hamstrung by systems that didn't
provide a static fallback.  I've personally been bitten by
unrecoverable Linux and Solaris systems due to hosed shared
libraries.  That's why I volunteered to build /rescue in the
first place, so that I'd never be faced with an unrecoverable
FreeBSD machine.

I'm pretty comfortable with the failsafes that we
have in place:
 * /sbin/init is static
 * If /bin/sh fails, /rescue/sh can be run
 * /rescue provides a complete set of statically-linked
   sysadmin utilities that should be sufficient
   for recovering a damaged system.

There are a few things I'd like to see:
 * It would be nice if the kernel noticed that /sbin/init
   failed too quickly and prompted the user for an alternate
   init.  That would open the door to a dynamic or just more
   ambitious /sbin/init, since you could always fall back
   to /rescue/init for recovery.
 * /rescue/vi is currently unusable if /usr is missing because
   the termcap database is in /usr.  One possibility
   would be to build a couple of default termcap entries
   into ncurses or into vi.

If there are still rough edges on some of this well,
that is what -CURRENT is all about, after all. ;-)

Tim Kientzle