At 10:09 AM -0600 11/25/03, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
On Mon, Nov 24, 2003, I heard the voice of
   David O'Brien, and lo! it spake thus:
 > On Mon, Nov 24, 2003, Michael Edenfield wrote:
 > >
 > > Would it be possible, through some make.conf magic, for
 > > the end-user to set extra programs to be put into /rescue
 > > that are not typically there?
 > >
> RESCUE_EXTRAPRGS= usr.bin/vi usr.bin/fetch

This list could easily need things added to librescue.

If you can delay building the rescue stuff until after everything else, you can use ldd(1) on the built binaries for everything else and hash up the list from that.

It is a bit more complicated than that, because programs may include embedded references to other files. So, I think some developer would *have* to do a little up-front work for any program that would be optionally-added to /rescue.

Also, if you completely automate it, then a year from now
someone will make a change to 'vi' which drags in a few
extra libraries, and people will be blind-sided with a much
larger /rescue.  If someone is watching what happens, they
could #ifdef-out that extra code for the /rescue version.

I do like the idea, but to do it right *will* involve extra
work for each optional program.  I would gladly do that extra
work for any programs that I cared to have in /rescue -- but
personally I set up dual-boot systems, so I don't really care
about any of them...  :-)

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Systems Programmer           or  [EMAIL PROTECTED]