Tom wrote:

 Just to be complete, there are already a whole bunch of machines that
will not boot 5.x, irregardless of the ACPI issues.  I've never been able
to boot 5.x with ACPI on or off, on any of the 5 Dell PowerEdge 6350
servers I have here, even though they run 4.9 perfectly.  I have a PR open
on it.

So even without the ACPI issues on some hardware, there are still other
reasons why 5.x is going to fail to boot.

Are you using a PERC in those boxes? I've seen issues with PERC controllers on 5.1, but 4.8 worked fine. I received a patch, which fixed it, but it's a bit hard to install the os, and then rebuild world without rebooting the machine. :)

Eric