else was noticing SEGV problems in other apps with malloc_usable_size()
or ARENA problems in threaded apps?

(gdb) bt
#0  0x28eacb14 in malloc_usable_size () from /lib/libc.so.7
#1  0x28eadbaa in free () from /lib/libc.so.7
#2  0x2ed9ac22 in gss_release_buffer () from /usr/lib/libgssapi.so.10

This failure (segfault due to accessing an unmapped region of memory) is
more subtle than I would typically expect of a malloc bug.  My approach
to debugging this would be to turn on tracing (see MALLOC_OPTIONS=U
docs) and see if the pointer passed to free() was valid (i.e. returned
by malloc/calloc/realloc, but not yet freed).

Jason