Julian Elischer wrote:
On 4/10/10 12:07 PM, Tim Kientzle wrote:
[1] Actually, PBI might work just fine even for
embedded if we address the disk bloat issue. One
approach would be to make
/Package/Bar/libfoo-2.8.7.so
a symlink or hardlink to
/Package/Shared/libfoo-2.8.7.so-<MD5-hash>
This gives easy sharing of identical files.

yeah that's more or less what we were thinking..
hardlinks allow you to garbage collect when the last pbi that needs something is replaced/removed.

The point of /Package/Shared in this design is
basically that it provides a list of all of
the files that can be shared, so you
avoid doing a full disk search to identify other
places that might have this file.  You could
accomplish the same goal by building and
storing a database of sharable files somewhere,
of course.

(Curiously, no one has mentioned filesystem-level
deduping yet as the "big hammer" solution...  ;-)

The LD_LIBRARY_PATH issue is the most interesting
problem here.  I don't immediately see a solution that
doesn't include teaching ld-elf.so.1 about some form
of per-application library path.

Tim