The FreeBSD NVIDIA driver *does* expose the underlying UVM (unified memory)
kernel interface CUDA needs. shkhln's libc6-shim translates the ioctls,
which is why people have gotten CUDA workloads running — and the route
that's matured most is running a Linux user space under the Linuxulator. As
of 2026 there's active work (NapoleonWils0n's freebsd-cuda) running Linux
CUDA applications on FreeBSD by mounting the host's Linuxulator NVIDIA
libraries into Podman/Rocky Linux containers, so the driver lives on the
FreeBSD side and the container doesn't need its own. Ollama, PyTorch, and
similar have been confirmed working that way. So CUDA-on-FreeBSD
effectively exists today, but as a Linux-compat construction rather than a
native toolkit — fine for headless/batch, clunkier as a clean desktop
Blender story. FreeBSD <https://forums.freebsd.org/tags/cuda/>

ROCm and oneAPI are in worse shape than CUDA, not better. ROCm depends on
AMD's amdkfd kernel compute driver, which isn't in drm-kmod, and the
userspace is famously bolted to specific Linux kernel versions. oneAPI
needs Level Zero plus intel-compute-runtime, again Linux-kernel-coupled.
Neither has a FreeBSD port, and there's no upstream effort I'm aware of to
make one.
Mario.


On Sun, Jun 21, 2026 at 6:59 PM mghackerlady <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Ah, silly me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it running in a
> linuxulator? Not a massive issue if so, but I was interested in native
> support
>
> On 2026-06-19 16:23, Mario Marietto wrote:
>
> ---> Hello! I'd love to run FreeBSD as a workstation OS, and am wondering
> if there are any plans to support CUDA
>
> FreeBSD already gained the support for CUDA :
>
>
> https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/can-cuda-be-installed-on-freebsd-now.85879/
>
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2026 at 11:15 PM Maple <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Hello! I'd love to run FreeBSD as a workstation OS, and am wondering if
> there are any plans to support CUDA or some other GPU compute platform like
> oneAPI or ROCm? It'd be useful for blender users like myself, and while I
> doubt there are many people considering FreeBSD for CAD or video editing
> workloads, it'd give FreeBSD a foot in the door there.
>
> I can also see FreeBSD being used for render farms should one of these
> technologies be adopted, but I am a desktop user interested in other things
> (hence the desktop mailing list) so perhaps there's something else that
> would prevent that
>
>
>
> --
> Mario.
>
>
>

-- 
Mario.

Reply via email to