On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 05:00:40PM +0100, Sergio Carlavilla wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 at 16:54, Rob Belics <r...@belics.com> wrote:

I tried to dabble with updating documentation--specifically the web
site--using this link: https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/fdp-primer/ I put
everything together and get the site to come up locally using Hugo as
outlined. However, I do not understand how to edit the web pages. First, I
can't find the home page (index) at all. Second, I tried editing the About
page doc/website/content/en/about.adoc, and rebuilt the whole thing, but
nothing changed when I refreshed the page.

Hi Rob,

First, thanks for your interest in helping us :)

Second, can you tell me the commands you’re using?

If you execute “make run” this should update the changes automatically.

Bye.

Hi folks,

To add to this a bit, my workflow is as follows:

Optional: ensure that the HOSTNAME variable is set, so that hugo listens on a host that isn't localhost, as I run it on a server that's a bit more powerful than my old laptop.

git checkout -b <branchname>

`make -C /usr/doc/website run`
(Replace website with documentation if you want to monitor the documentation)

Alter whatever it is I wanna change, and save the file. Hugo should rebuild the changed part (although this doesn't always work, possibly due to includes; I've yet to root-cause this)

git add . && git diff -staged

Then rinse and repeat for the editing and git add'ing, until satisfied.

Finally, make -C /usr/doc/website build, to make sure nothing else broke during all the editing. ;)

The asciidoctor binary can also be used to lint files.

If you grab git arc by doing `make -C /usr/src/tools/tools/git-arc build` and throw the install target at it afterwards (you'll need to be in the tree for 14-CURRENT for this), you can use git arc (and it's manual page, adopted to mdoc(7) by yours truly) to upload directly to reviews.freebsd.org.

I hope this helps, but please feel free to reach out (preferably on #bsddocs on IRC) if necessary.

Also, yes, I do intend to add this to the FDP, but it could be added by someone else too. *hint hint, wink wink, nudge nudge*

Yours,
Daniel Ebdrup Jensen